Sunday, June 17, 2007

Week 1, Thing #2 (7 1/2 habits of lifelong learners)

7 ½ Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners

Habit 1: Begin with the end in mind

Habit 2: Accept responsibility for your own learning

Habit 3: View problems as challenges

Habit 4: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner

Habit 5: Create your own learning toolbox

Habit 6: Use technology to your advantage

Habit 7: Teach/mentor others

Habit 7 ½: Play


This tutorial very eloquently expressed most of the reasons I have chosen to homeschool my children. I, myself, am a lifelong learner yet I never really knew of this label. I love to learn!! I could be a perpetual student and I mean that in the formal sense. Happily I don't have to go to school to learn. This is what I want my children to embrace. Learning happens 24/7 and also whether we want it or not.


Perhaps the most challenging habit for me to embrace is Habit #1. I don't know why, but I never formally formulate a goal. Even though I have a vague idea in my mind as to what I want to accomplish, I never state it explicitly, even in my own mind. I think that my process in accomplishing whatever task would be more focused if I tried this.

This will be my own personal task.

No comments: